A balanced duel zone

Give your thoughts and ideas
Dakumonki

A balanced duel zone

Post by Dakumonki » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:28 pm

I'm a duel enthusiast. Since I've been on woltk I haven't seen one good duel zone. I am begging this upcoming server makes the right decision when making their duel zone.

A good duel zone is one with not only open space, but also has trees and pillars. Every WOTLK duel zone is just a big open space. Open space arenas: Gurubashi, Non competitive arenas: Gurubashi. I'd like my regenerative passives and abilities to do work, I'd like dots and pets to do work, I'd like to be able to port behind a pillar with demonic circle to evade death grip, I'd like to play a melee class and have a defensive option when fighting ranged, no free charges please prot has 2, let survival be good by allowing them to set traps around the terrain and hide after doting, let spirit bond be good.

Most of the specs people find bad or hard to use just happens to be one that requires some pillars or trees to work, druids need their trees, hotting and dotting does damage AND heals, especially when you aren't just allowing yourself to be shot at. Bm and their pet advantage, pet owner hides superior pet damage compared to other hunters, same kinda for demonology and the other warlock types. Arcane missiles.

1v1 arena is NOT the same, plenty of servers with that ones thats been AROUND for ages with pop, I didn't come to new here for that. Not trying to hold that against you, just saying, I did not come here for that, I came here because here is hope.

Problems with 1v1 arena
not as fast
sometimes reapplying stuff
needs to find someone

I 1v1 arena in SERIOUS SERIOUS "I BEAT YOU" duels, because I know they can't pull shit in there.

If you're gonna have a duel zone, may as-well make it good. 71 points and you do what you want with them, there's no way all the possibilities are all good in the opening.

when people say its traditional to have an open space one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3msfji8T6tc

SSNS
Site Admin

Re: A balanced duel zone

Post by SSNS » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:43 am

Hello Dakumonki,

I got your concerns about having LoS points in a duel zone. Im just trying to reverse think the thing:

Most people will be get frustrated by seeing that duels can't be considered as "balanced" once one has the ability to use that line of sight to his benefit when the second player has no benefit doing so.

Even though some classes must use the pillar in order to perform right, I believe adding terrain/pillars causes enough trouble and frustration to overcome the game balance benefit it adds.
Since the goal for the server launch is to gather the most players, Im not sure about that doing what you describe is good for now.

Regards

Dakumonki

Post by Dakumonki » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:47 am

SSNS wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:43 am
Hello Dakumonki,

I got your concerns about having LoS points in a duel zone. Im just trying to reverse think the thing:

How about people that will ragequit by simply seeing that duels can't be considered as "balanced" once one has the ability to use that line of sight to his benefit when the second player has no benefit doing so?

Even though some classes must use the pillar in order to perform right, I believe adding terrain/pillars causes enough trouble and frustration to overcome the game balance benefit it adds.
Since the goal for the server launch is to gather the most players, Im not sure about that doing what you describe is good for now.

Regards

Yeah in only world pvp I guess the people against it would just cry and die when someone hides behind one of the many trees.

The thing is one could run to open space if its better suits them, where they advance at, another could run towards trees, where they advance at. "Hurr durr mages and other range will have to chase", you might say, well plenty of classes and specializations are currently stuck with being the chaser right now because they have no defenses which is my rare intelligent problem, no one cares because ignorance is bliss while I search for one server, just one. Doesn't it makes sense, evading the wrath of a powerful mage a fucking break is all some of these specs need. If you cannot see how its balanced, open space, AND pillars, boy.

Dueling has easily always been better when the server owners decided not to use their unqualified hands to decide where people will duel, and the factions and people would naturally duel in front of the factions main cities.. Stormwind and its trees... Orgrimmar and its few boxes and spikes...

Back to my search because that's literally all I want out of wow, and most likely my dream was shot down once again by the majority inexperienced people who don't even take duels as seriously, and just wanted to see me leave.

its a shooting game without walls

secondly the people you think dont need them are usually ranged and caster classes
so without pillars melee classes are playing tag all day trying to catch them
with pillars the range gets to try and catch the melee for once
they dont understand that if both people cling to their defense
its a standstill
a balanced standstill
one will have to press the attack to make things happen, but without PILLARS or TREES
the melee will have to chase

they dont get it nor they want it for themselves, ITS SAD, the lengths people would go.

Everyone who didn't want pillars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-J3MTRdPKc

I'm tweeting this moment, one of these days..

Later

shadowcoldzx

Post by shadowcoldzx » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:00 am

Hi Dakumonki,

I don't think that SSNS is saying that this way it is the best or the most balanced, rather, the argument here is that having LoS in duel zones causes more frustrations than without them.
It always will be a one-sided argument all based around classes, you never can have everyone satisfied and creating 2 duel zones (LoS and without) would in my own opinion be quite unhealthy and fracture the community even more.

I've been playing since perhaps 2006, and I do not have any interest in duel zones, it's never been a balanced or interesting area in my opinion, though having participated in multiple duel events across the expansions I can speak for myself that dealing with someone abusing LoS is infuriating and makes people ragequit, it also breaks duel mechanics in so many ways it's not even a joke (imagine going to timeout draws because people don't want to go around pillars vs rogues or stam stacking dks and foolishly chase around it for a minute because the other side is waiting for cds, etc.)

Anyway, just my opinion that SSNS is taking the better alternative here for the server's health.

Regards,
eXistenZ

Dakumonki

Post by Dakumonki » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:37 am

So we agree then http://prntscr.com/qjh8uf

Everyone you guys are trying to appease are just crying noobs who don't know how to use a basic mechanic that's fair to all classes and specializations.

Mounts are apart of the game by the way, its not impossible to catch someone.

Once again it's a shooting game without walls.

You can't even come up with a good reason, the only person against the idea to care enough to post on the forums was the owner, and then someone backed them. Because no one could debate with what I was saying and make sense. If someone doesn't like someone that "abuses" pillars and think most people think this way they wouldn't duel such a person period.. Once again, if people were dueling in front of their main cities(if admins left blizzards amazing game design alone), this wouldn't be a problem.

venusproject

Post by venusproject » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:21 pm

What am I reading.... So you are basicly a feral main that hates to get beaten by mages in open areas? Pillars in duel zone? Why would you even want that shit, it's most retarded concept of duel balance I've ever read. Like from the point when you have a class with a healinlg ability + cc, you just can't lose against a class that doesn't have it. Like what specs are you even talking about, 71 points crap... BM hunter is a glass cannon duel class it won't fucking hide behind pillars he'll just pop Rapid Fire, Bestial Wrath and barrage you with his gcd's. Like I'm reading your posts and I don't see any QoL improvements, I just see you wanting it and no one else. What's wrong with 1v1 arena? Pillars?

Liebe

Post by Liebe » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:55 am

Well, you can still tryhard 1v1 arenas that all have plenty of LoS. I think world PVP has LoS as well (unless I'm mistake and LoS is blizzlike ...).

The beauty of Virtus is that it has something for literally everyone.

Dakumonki

Post by Dakumonki » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:15 am

venusproject wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:21 pm
What am I reading.... So you are basicly a feral main that hates to get beaten by mages in open areas? Pillars in duel zone? Why would you even want that shit, it's most retarded concept of duel balance I've ever read. Like from the point when you have a class with a healinlg ability + cc, you just can't lose against a class that doesn't have it. Like what specs are you even talking about, 71 points crap... BM hunter is a glass cannon duel class it won't fucking hide behind pillars he'll just pop Rapid Fire, Bestial Wrath and barrage you with his gcd's. Like I'm reading your posts and I don't see any QoL improvements, I just see you wanting it and no one else. What's wrong with 1v1 arena? Pillars?
I literally said everything, I don't even play feral. I SAID EVERYTHING I HAD TO ALREADY, IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND it shows your lack of EXPERIENCE. You're calling BM a nuker, anyone can blow cooldowns but theirs gameplay needed behind all that DUDE when you used them ALL. THINK THINK THINK.... ITS ALL THERE, WHAT SPECS IM TALKING ABOUT? I ALREADY SAID THEM CAN YOU READ?

Maybe if you were experienced you would understand but as I said before, most people are just template build KIDDIES that have no deep knowledge of the game and no nothing about the unheard of specs. "71 points crap" yeah I know its hard for you to GRASP, but there are MANY WAYS TO PLAY A CLASS IN THIS GAME, WOTLK IS THE MOST DIVERSE WOW, REASON WHY I PLAY IT

You do NOT get it, you're too IGNORANT in the subject TO get it, and you don't even WANT IT FOR YOURSELF BECAUSE MOST LIKELY YOU DO NO EXPERIMENTING AND DONT KNOW WHAT SOME OF THESE BUILDS NEED, and you dont CARE TO KNOW WHY
Idk if its just me BUT I'D LIKE TO PLAY THE GAME THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED AND ENJOY MYSELF.

Dakumonki

Post by Dakumonki » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:16 am

Liebe wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:55 am
Well, you can still tryhard 1v1 arenas that all have plenty of LoS. I think world PVP has LoS as well (unless I'm mistake and LoS is blizzlike ...).

The beauty of Virtus is that it has something for literally everyone.
I already gave my reason WHY 1v1 arena is not good enough. But sure, I'll do so again.
It's simply not the same. It takes time for 1v1 arena to begin, and usually reapplying stuff. I play a warlock sooo... Anyway, if you're going to have a duel zone. May as-well. Make it. Good.

SSNS
Site Admin

Post by SSNS » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:01 am

We will have to close this topic if it can't be discussed calmly.
Maybe you should join our Discord if you want to talk about it.